Compared to the number of working police officers in the U.S. (737,263), there are over 23 million American veterans working and in retirement. Some veterans return home with limited mobility due to injuries, others return with PTSD or great stress.
You don't need to wait for Veteran's Day to give your support to your local veterans or your loved ones who've served. Here are some simple ways you can help to make a difference in the lives of the veterans around you.
- Help keep your local veterans off the streets. The Department of Veterans Affairs' Stand Down program is used to help homeless veterans get back on their feet by providing food, clothing, shelter, and health care screenings. Consider volunteering at your local Stand Down program to help keep your local veterans from suffering homelessness.
- Donate to a cause. There are many organizations that work to help and support veterans. If you're unable to volunteer your time, consider donating to one of these many organizations to show your support.
- Send a letter or care package. Those serving in the military often appreciate care packages and letters, but they're not the only ones. Veterans also appreciate these small acts of gratitude. In fact, it's the reason why Operation Gratitude was founded. Operation Gratitude sends over 1.5 million care packages throughout the military community to those serving and those who have returned home.
- Sponsor a furry friend. Many veterans experience PTSD and may benefit from a companion dog to help them cope. Consider sponsoring a dog in the Puppies Behind Bars program, which trains companion dogs for veterans.
- Say "thank you" however you can. Some veterans may never hear the words "thank you" when they return to civilian life. Consider telling your local veterans you appreciate their service in any way that you can. A plaque of appreciation is a special way to show the veteran in your life you value their service.
It can be challenging to find the right way to show the veterans in your community that you appreciate them. Crystal Central offers an array of military appreciation gifts and Coast Guard gifts in personalized crystal to show your veteran appreciation. To learn more about veteran appreciation gifts and Coast Guard gifts, contact Crystal Central today.